Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Sparrow

The other day I finished reading an incredible novel, which has been out some time (and actually has a sequel) but I'd never heard of: The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell.

It's the story of a Jesuit mission to the first planet on which life was found (by radio waves of singing broadcasts). It's absolutely stunningly written, the characters are so memorable. It's rough and real and if you have faith will stretch it near breaking. Though I found it faith strengthening. Regardless, it will make you think, and that's a good thing.

One of the most satisfying books, though totally discombobulating, that I have read in a long time. Amazingly creative. I was just captivated.

I can't wait to read the sequel now, Children of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home